One of the common issues that anglers face while catching bass and other species of fish that live near algae is the lack of effectiveness of regular baiting and casting techniques.
If you want to increase your chances of catching these fish in 2023, you need a technique that allows you to keep the lure off the bottom, and that’s where drop shot fishing comes in handy!
To get started in drop shot fishing, you need a particular rod type. Today, I’ll walk you through a brief buyer’s guide and review the six best drop shot rods the market offers.
These include Shimano Crucial Drop Shot Rods, G. Loomis Drop Shot Rods, St. Croix Drop Shot Rods, etc. So without further ado, let’s dive right in!
Best Drop Shot Fishing Rods for 2023
|Drop Shot Rod||Highlight|
|1.||G. Loomis IMX-PRO Spinning Drop Shot Rod||Great for bass, lightweight, well balanced, higher-priced|
|2.||Dobyns Rods Fury Series Spinning Dropshot Fishing Rod||Versatile but few bells and whistles|
|3.||St. Croix Rods Triumph Casting Drop-shot Rod||Flexible, durable, and great price|
|4.||Abu Garcia Veritas Casting Drop Shot Fishing Rod||Light, thin, and great for long days on the water|
|5.||SHIMANO Zodias Freshwater Spinning Dropshot Fishing Rod||High performance at a great price|
|6.||Lew’s Custom Speed Stick CDSS Dropshot Special Spinning Rod||Excellent quality and price|
Here I start with one of the best options out there if you’re looking for a drop shot rod. The IMX-PRO 8822S from G. Loomis uses premium materials to give you a one-of-a-kind drop shot fishing experience.
This one is a one-piece spinning rod made of high-modulus graphite, which gives it a remarkably balanced swing weight and unmatched durability!
The rod has a multi-taper construction that helps in reinforcing its stress points. The IMX-PRO is 6 ft and 10 inches with a line rating of 6 to 12 lbs and lure weight of 1/8 to 5/16 ounce.
The rod has medium power, which makes it remarkably versatile. It also has an extra fast rod action and very high sensitivity to give you a feel of the subtle bites around the bait. The only drawback of this model is that it’s a bit pricey.
- A sensitive rod with remarkably durable construction for catching larger fish
- Carefully designed and crafted by hand perfect for drop shotting
- Extra fast action while staying lightweight for bass fishing
- Premium price tag
If you want a spinning fishing rod for drop shot (learn more about drop shot rigs here) fishing that is slightly lighter in weight, the Dobyns could be the best option.
The Fury Series spinning fishing rod is made of modulus graphite blanks and features kevlar wrapping for extra strength. The rod is available in three sizes, including 6.5 ft, 6 ft 6 inches, and 7 ft.
The design of the rod balances between the sensitivity needed to get a feel of the line and the comfort of cork handles that are perfectly placed where it matters the most.
The rod features Fuji reel seats and Alconite guides. Yet, what we like the most about this rod is the lifetime warranty that comes with the rod, which makes it a valuable bang for the buck!
- A good drop shot rod available in various sizes
- Backed by a lifetime warranty
- Very easy and comfortable to use to catch fish
- Not as durable as some other options
- BUILT FOR: Dartheads, Dropshots, Shaky Heads, Tubes and...
- EXCEPTIONAL QUALITY: Dobyns Rods are designed and created by...
- PINPOINT ACCURACY: Constructed by anglers, this perfectly...
- FOR EVERY SITUATION: Each rod is tailored to provide...
The St. Croix Triumph is another excellent option if you’re looking for a drop shot fishing rod. Although this one is not a spinning rod, it still has all the necessary elements for a successful technique.
The Triumph is a great drop shot rod made from SCII carbon fiber, which provides the rod with an advanced level of durability while staying lightweight.
This is essential for keeping the rod easy to use and maneuver and providing it with unmatched sensitivity. The rod is backed by a 5-year warranty and the top-of-the-line aftersale services of St. Croix!
The rod also comes in various sizes, ranging from 6 to 7 feet. Similarly, the rod is available in multiple power ratings, including medium and medium-heavy, with a line rating of 10 to 20 lbs.
- A versatile rod that can be used for multiple techniques
- A lightweight rod that is made of SCII carbon, perfect for drop-shot fishing
- My personal preference is a great rod that is available in different power ratings to suit other anglers
- The rod doesn’t seem as rigid as others
- Premium quality SCII carbon.
- Hard aluminum-oxide guides with black frames.
- Sea Guide XDPS reel seat with eco-friendly sandblasted hoods...
- SPECIFICATIONS: Length – 7’; Power – MH; Action –...
If you’re looking for an inexpensive option that is carefully designed to give you more power without being heavy, this one should be on your shortlist!
The Abu Garcia Veritas casting rod features an optimized casting system that works very well with lighter lures while staying balanced (see our in-depth review of the Abu Garcia Veritas casting rod and reel combos here).
The ergonomically designed rod features balanced and lightweight guides made of titanium alloy.
The grips are made of closed-cell EVA instead of cork, which is more comfortable, but some users prefer the classic touch of cork on their rods.
The rod comes with a 3-year warranty, which is relatively shorter than some of the other options on the market.
- Highly affordable option and perhaps the best dropshot rod
- A popular model that’s lightweight, balanced, and very sensitive for the best performance
- Features closed-cell EVA grips for durability and weather resistance
- Relatively underwhelming warranty policy
- ABU GARCIA VERITAS 7’3” CASTING ROD: A balanced and...
- 12-20LB LINE RATING, MEDIUM HEAVY POWER, FAST ACTION: The...
- GRAPHITE CONSTRUCTION featuring exclusive Powerlux 100 to...
- 10 TITANIUM ALLOY GUIDES: Built with zirconium inserts to...
There aren’t many rods that beat the Zodias from Shimano at what it does. This reasonably priced rod is designed to deliver the maximum level of sensitivity so that you can feel every tick and vibration around the line.
The Hi-Power X blank construction provides this fishing rod with outstanding durability. The rod is 7 ft and 10 inches long and has a line weight of about 10 to 25 lbs, supporting a lure weight of around 3/8 to 1 ounce.
The rod features Fuji reel seats with aconite guides and has a medium-heavy power rating, which makes it ideal for larger species of bass
- Great value for the money and good performance with heavy and lightweight rigs
- Excellent for catching relatively large species of bass and similar sized fish
- Lightweight design and construction material at an affordable price
- The center of gravity of the rod is pushed a little forward
- Hi-Power X
- CI4+ Reel Seat
- Fuji K-Frame Alconite Guides + SiC Tip
Last but not least, we have this Custom Speed Stick from Lew’s. This spinning rod is another great option for catching big fish and is made of HM60 graphite blanks, which provides the rod with an astonishing level of durability despite weighing only 0.35 lbs.
The rod’s length is 6 ft and 10 inches with a medium-light power rating, making it ideal for catching average-sized walleye and bass.
The rod has a line weight of 4 to 10 lbs and a lure weight of between 1/8 and 1/2 ounce. Lew’s uses grippy EVA foam in this model rather than classic cork, but they still used Duracork inlays, combining the best of both worlds!
- Sturdy build with a multi-directional power core and other great features
- Grippy and comfortable handles with a soft rod tip
- Uses lighter weight premium quality guides and inserts
- It comes with a limited 2-year warranty
- Premium HM60 graphite blanks. G Clutc reel seat with Midas...
- Patent pending CT-1 ComfortTouch grip. Fuji Concept O guides...
- Split grip EVA with duracork inlay handles. Stainless steel...
- Sport type: Fishing
What to Consider When Buying Drop Shot Rods
While buying a drop shot rod, there are a few points that you need to keep in mind to make the most out of your investment.
In this section, we’ll take a look at four of the essential aspects that can vary between drop shot rods and how to pick the right one for your needs:
Materials and Durability
The materials used in making drop shot rods significantly impact their durability and their capacity for appropriate drop shot rigs in deep waters. While rods can be made of many materials, graphite composite and stainless steel line guides are usually great options because it strikes a decent balance between durability and ease of maneuvering.
Rod Action and Power
If you’re considering drop shot fishing, you should always go for a spinning rod (see the best spinning rod for bass fishing here) with fast action where the tip is soft, but the rest of the rod is stiff. The best rod with fast action and soft tip gives you a good feel of the line and the hook.
As for the power, you can choose anything from medium-light to medium-heavy depending on the size of fish you’re going for.
Rod and Handle Design
You should also take a good look at the rod and make sure that its design will feel right in your hands. Rods come in lengths, but the best ones for drop shot fishing are between 6 to 7.5 inches.
A cork handle is a very popular option, however, today, many new models opt for EVA as a more comfortable and resilient alternative.
Top Drop Shot Fishing Rod Brands for 2023
|Fishing Rod Brand||Highlight|
|1.||G. Loomis||Manufactures some of the best carbon fiber rods on the market|
|2.||Dobyns Rods||Lifetime guarantee|
|3.||St. Croix||Premium power, durability, and price|
|4.||Abu Garcia||A hot brand with an excellent reputation|
|5.||Shimano||Well made, a great reputation for quality, great price|
|6.||Lew’s||Best overall value|
There are plenty of fishing gear manufacturers that make excellent drop shot rods.
However, some of these brands are known for their quality and craftsmanship, especially when it comes to materials and reliability. In this section, we’ll have a quick overview of these brands and their history:
1: G. Loomis
G. Loomis stands for “Gary Loomis,” which founded the company back in 1982 and set himself apart from other manufacturers by mastering the quality of his handcrafted fishing gear.
The company’s headquarters is in Woodland, Washington, where they make their products.
In 1997, G. Loomis became a part of Shimano American Corporation, but G. Loomis maintained their premium quality manufacturing.
2: Dobyns Rods
Dobyns Rods makes anything from fishing rods to reels (see the best bass fishing rod and reel combos here) and even lures despite its name. Dobyns Rods is a relatively new company that has been around since 2009 in Sulphur Springs, Texas.
The company is founded by one of the tournament angling veterans, Gary Dobynshas, and offers a variety of successful fishing rod series (learn about the parts of a fishing rod here), such as Fury, XTASY, Kaden, and Champion.
3: St. Croix
St. Croix is a popular brand that manufacturers a considerable variety of angling-related gear, including fishing rods, reels, accessories, apparel, and more!
The company was founded back in 1948 and continues to produce some of the most popular fishing gear out there. This includes the Triumph, Victory, and Mojo Series.
4: Abu Garcia
Abu Garcia is a Swedish/American company that has been in the business of fishing gear (learn more about the highly-rated Abu Garcia Blac Max X rod and reel combo here) manufacturing since late 1948 when Göte Borgström shifted the company (then known as “ABU Svangsta”) to making fishing rods.
The company then had a successful partnership with the American Garcia Corporation to import their products into the US until the latter took over the company and called it “Abu Garcia.”
Abu Garcia offers a wide range of fishing gear, but the Ambassadeur Series remains one of the most popular brands.
Shimano is one of the most popular fishing gear brands (see the difference between two top reels here) for reels. However, it also makes fishing rods with some criminally underrated models.
The Japanese giant has been around since 1921 and specializes in both fishing and cycling gear.
The company is prized for advanced craftsmanship and using the latest technologies to design cutting-edge gear with the ultimate level of accuracy.
Lew’s is an American fishing rod manufacturer that has been located in Springfield, Missouri, since 1949. The company is known for making reliable products that last for a long time.
Lew’s won the “best rod and reel combo” 6 times in a row, presented in the ICAST Awards. This gives you an idea of the quality and care it puts in to making these products.
Best Drop Shot Reels, Weights, Rigs, and Hooks
Below are a few highly-rated reasonably priced options for reels that’ll work well with the drop shot rods mentioned above.
- ADVANCED DESIGN; Reaction Tackle’s drop shot weights...
- RANGE OF CHOICE; Our pencil weights fishing sinkers come in...
- QUALITY SWIVEL; Each one of these pencil weights features a...
- SMOOTH LEAD; The solid lead design of our drop shot fishing...
- Dropshot hooks come (50) per pack, we sell in bulk to save...
- Available in multiple sizes 2 thru 3/0
- Dropshot is an essential technique for catching more fish
- Our fishing hooks are heavy duty, professional grade, laser...
- 1. HIGH QUALITY READY FISHING RIGS: Top pre-made wacky rigs/...
- 2. READY RIGS MAKES FISHING EASIER: These pre-tied drop shot...
- 3. VERSATILITY AND EFFECTIVENESS WACKY RIG: The wacky system...
- 4. WACKY HOOK AND DROP SHOT WEIGHTS: When fishing with the...
Best Drop Shot Fishing Rods FAQs
How Heavy Should a Drop Shot Rod Be?
The ideal rods for drop shot fishing are usually between 6.5 to 7.5 ft. A medium-light spinning rod weighing between 5 to 7 ounces should be perfect.
As for the lures, you typically need a casting lure that weighs anywhere between 3/16 to 1/2 ounce.
How to Choose the Right Line for a Drop Shot Rod?
The drop shot technique depends on finesse. For that reason, the visibility of the line (learn about monofilament and fluorocarbon fishing lines here) can limit your chances of catching fish.
Ideally, you should look for a fluorocarbon line that is 6 to 8 lbs heavy or a braided line that is a little lighter and a 2 ft leader made of fluorocarbon.
How Does Drop Shot Fishing Work?
Drop shot fishing is a finesse technique that depends on keeping the lure hanging off the bottom using weightless action.
In this technique, you lure the fish that live near algae in the bottom by twitching the rod, making the lure shake around, attracting your catch.
How Much Is a Drop Shot Fishing Rod?
Ideally, there’s no specific price for these fishing rods, but they usually range from $100 to $400 or even more, so you have to plan your budget accordingly.