If you have ever wanted to get into the amazing world of kayak fishing, then the first thing you’re going to need is a kayak to fish in!
However, one look after browsing these things, and you’ll be sure that you’ll be spending upward of $1,000 and it might put you off wanting to get into the sport in the first place.
However, this might not need to be the case. You can get kayaks that come under $500, all of which are very serviceable, made from durable plastics that will not let you down when you get onto the water. Most of these kayaks are designed to sit well on the slow- and rapid-moving water.
So where can you find the best kayaks for people who are working on a tight budget? Just because your kayak is cheaper, does that mean you can’t get all the state-of-the-art features?
What materials are budget kayaks made from? How much exactly will you be spending on your budget kayak?
Well, if you want the answers to these questions and a whole lot more, then we would suggest that you keep reading.
We have compiled a list of some of the best kayaks that you can get for very little money, as well as a buyer’s guide that will help you to decide what the best kayak will be for your needs.
OUR TOP PICK
Our first kayak is an exceptional performer and tracks really well even in the choppiest waters. This can be taken out with some recreational paddling, giving you everything that you need for a straight and true ride.
This is slightly heavier than a lot of other kayaks, so it will sit well in the water and be able to hold your gear - introducing the Perception Pescador 10.
- This has a large rear tank that you can use to store all your gear. It is waterproof and will not harm your precious electronic gadgets.
- This can bear a much larger load than a lot of other kayaks - you can hold up to 325 pounds of gear with this kayak.
- This has a comfortable seating system that you can be sure will give you everything that you need for a comfortable ride that will improve circulation and allow you to sit on the water for longer.
- This also has adjustable foot braces with thin and ventilated padding on the bottom. This is great for decreasing the amount of sweat and moisture in your seating area.
- This kayak might be a little too heavy-duty for some beginners.
This next kayak is something a little different from some of the others that we’ve listed here.
It is inflatable, but now, with some of the more innovative designs that have come from the world of blow-up kayaks, you can expect a very reliable ride - introducing the Sevylor Coleman Colorado 2-Person Fishing Kayak.
- This kayak is a tandem, so it will be able to carry plenty of fishing equipment, with storage pockets on the side, it can also carry your personal items.
- This is an inflatable model, so you can deflate it and store it easily in the back of your truck or even the back seat of your car.
- This has mesh deck rigging, which will help keep you and your personal possession lovely and dry.
- This comes with a pair of built-in rigging handles, which will make it very easy for you to carry your kayak from the car to the shoreline.
- This might not have enough deck space or the ability to carry your heavier possessions. A pro fisherman might prefer something a little harder.
Now we move back to the hard shell kayaks, with a boat that is made from 52-pounds of high-density polyethylene, which will make floating much easier to cope with.
It has plenty of storage, which will allow you to carry plenty of rod, fish trackers and GPS devices - introducing the Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 Fishing Kayak.
- This kayak comes with a 31-inch hull bottom, which makes it one of the sturdiest kayaks that you can buy.
- Because of the large size and the low price, this one is great if you have a family that you want to take on the water with a single boat.
- This comes with an adjustable backrest, which is great if you are starting to feel cramped after a few hours and you need to adjust your seat.
- The price - in terms of the features to price ratio, this is one of the best kayaks that you can buy.
- Thi seat could get very uncomfortable after a few hours, which might reduce the amount of time that you’re out on the water.
This angler is one of the heftiest that you have on the market, measuring at 8.5 inches, you can be sure that it will give you everything you need to carry your board across the water.
This has a smaller weight capacity, but it is a great kayak for solo fishers - introducing the Lifetime Hydros Angler 85 Fishing Kayak.
- This can handle a load of up to 225 pounds, which has a swim molded deck that you can be sure will be very comfortable for you.
- This is equipped with an adjustable rod holder, which is perfect if you want to have that extra stability when you are out on the waves.
- This is one of the best kayaks to have if you are a slow paddler, it sits great in the water and has amazing turning capabilities.
- This is a great one for younger fishers who might be taking to the water for the very first time.
- This has a much smaller weight capacity, so if you have a lot more gear, then you might find that this doesn’t have that much space.
This next kayak is one of the best when it comes to durability, with a 9.5-inch hull that is very dense and will be very resistant to dents and dings.
This is quite compact for a hard-shell fishing kayak - introducing the Sun Dolphin Journey 10-Foot Sit-On-Top Kayak.
- This comes with a 250-pound capacity, giving you everything that you need for really decent deck space.
- This comes with features that you can use to keep your rod steady, with plenty of storage for your heavy-duty fishing gear.
- This boat is very narrow, so this makes tracking through the water a lot easier.
- This has a rear hatch that you can use to store all your fishing rope, tackle and bait. It is also waterproof, so you can store your fishing gear in there.
- The tracking on this boat is less than average and you might experience some difficulty controlling it on choppier waters.
This next kayak has a multi-layered construction, making it super resistant to some of the more difficult elements that you might experience when you are out on the waves.
This comes with aluminum rips and multiple air chambers - introducing the StraitEdge Inflatable Kayak.
- This one weighs very heavily for an inflatable kayak, but that means it will sit nice and sturdy in the water.
- This has plenty of storage options on the surface of your boat, so if you are looking for something that will keep you on the water for longer, this is the one.
- This boat can even be kitted out with a motor if you fancy, which is much easier on your arms!
- This has abrasion pads that will keep your knees and elbows protected when you are on the inside of your boat.
- The straps that hold you in the seat of this kayak could be made of better quality material.
This next kayak is a blend of all the best attributes that you can get on a kayak, from the sturdiness of the hull to how well it maneuvers through the water.
This has a lot of room in the base, with enough space to store all your fishing gear - introducing the Perception Sound 10.5.
- This has rod holders on the side of your boat, both of which are ideal for that extra stability that will allow you to evade detection from your fish.
- This has a great dashboard area that you can use to store most of your items. This is great for kayakers of both beginner and expert levels.
- This kayak is very weighty, so you can rest assured that it will keep you on the surface of the water for much longer.
- This boat is one of the best to steer on this list, plenty of users have attested to it getting them out of a sticky situation.
- This does not have much in the way of watertight storage, so if you are worried about your possession succumbing to water, then you might want to consider another vessel.
This next kayak uses a very distinctive fuel source to get you from A to B - that is your legs! This one is a pedal operating model that you can use to drive you through the water at your own pace - introducing the Perception Pescador Pilot 12.
- This is great for use on slower water levels, so if you are more of a fan of kicking back on your kayak, this certainly is the model for you.
- This has built-in fins in the bottom of the boat that will allow you to slide through the water with that extra level of professionalism.
- This comes with a camo style that you can use to blend in with your surroundings, especially if you are hunting animals from the water.
- This has plenty of storage on it that will allow you to keep over 200-pounds worth of fishing gear.
- This is one of the more expensive units, so make sure that you are committed to fishing before you take this thing out on the water with you.
This next kayak is one of the better-priced models from the Pelican range. This has 30 inches of width, which makes it a great unit for storing your fishing equipment as well as your extra passengers - introducing the Pelican Recreational Sit-In Kayak.
- This one comes with a large capacity, so you won’t have to worry about any of your gear spilling out from the side of the boat.
- This has six accessory eyelets that will enable you to mount your fishing equipment wherever you need it.
- This will allow you to transport as much of your gear as possible, it also has an anti-rock design in the boat that will stop you from swinging from side to side in choppy waters.
- The seat is adjustable, making it perfect for any long-duration fisherman who wants to flex their legs as they paddle.
- The backrest is a little inflexible, so you might find yourself having trouble when you are out on the water with this vessel.
This final kayak is one of the most affordable and durable that you can find on this list.
It comes in a very durable design that you can be sure will help keep you afloat while you are in the water - introducing the Pelican Maxim 100X Sit-In Recreational Kayak.
- This kayak comes with amazing handles that you can use to transport your boat from the truck to the water.
- This has a cockpit that you can use to keep your personal possessions in as well as your fishing gear.
- This has an adjustable seat cushion system that you can use to get as comfortable as you need to.
- This kayak is brightly colored, perfect if you want a boat that reflects your outgoing personality.
- This might be a little too small for pro fishers who like to bring a lot of gear on the water with them.
Best Budget Fishing Kayaks Buying Guide
If you are looking for a new kayak and are on a budget, there will be a few things that you need to consider:
How Much Is it?
Generally, most of the kayaks on this list are under the $500 mark, although you can get some for as little as $200. Usually, if you pay less for your kayak, then you’ll probably be having a few less features that you might get with some of the high-end kayaks.
What Materials Is it Made From?
Materials are very important for preventing your boat from succumbing to damages, but they also keep your clothing and equipment dry when you’re out on the water. Wire mesh is a key component in your kayak that will stop it from getting too sodden.
Best Budget Fishing Kayaks - FAQ's
What Are The Best Accessories For A Fishing Kayak?
There are a number of things that you’ll need for your fishing kayak:
- Anchoring system - this will stop your kayak from drifting away, especially if you are on the shore doing something else.
- Pedal drive system - this will allow you to fish with your hand while propelling the boat forward with your feet.
- Trolling motor - this will help give your arms a break when you are tired of paddling.
- Storage - having ample storage is probably one of the most important features of your boat.
How Can You Stay Comfortable On The Water?
You’ll be able to stay comfortable when you are out on the water by having enough room to stretch your legs. This will help to improve your circulation and allow you to stay out on the water for much longer.
You will also need to have a decent backrest. If you are going to be spending hours by yourself with nothing but your fishing rod, then having enough back support will be really important for keeping you in good shape.
Our Final Say
We hope that our list of the 10 budget kayaks has given you a better idea of what to look for. Luckily, there are thousands of other models out there that you can look at.