If fishing is a social activity for you, then you’ll probably be wanting to look at kayaks that have more than one seat. These kayaks are often very roomy, with enough body and balance for you to be able to support two or even three people.
There are plenty of versions of tandem paddlers out there, from hard-shell kayaks to kayaks that you can pump up, there are plenty of options to choose from.
You will also need a kayak that can comfortably support you along with your gear. As well as this, you’ll want a kayak that tracks well through the water.
But where can you find the best kayaks for your tandem needs? What features should a tandem kayak have to give you the best support and buoyancy in the water?
What are the best materials for a tandem kayak to be made from to give you the most comfort? How much can you be expected to pay for a tandem vessel?
Well, if you need the answer to all of these questions and a whole lot more, then we would suggest that you read on.
We have compiled a list of the top 10 kayaks that you can currently get on the market, along with a buyer’s guide that will really help you to decide what the best kayak will be for your fishing needs.
OUR TOP PICK
Our first kayak has two seats that can be adjusted to suit the height and the weight of each fisher.
This will give you plenty of room to store your gear, with a durable body that is made from top-quality plastic - introducing the Hobie 2020 Mirage Pro Angler 17T Dune.
- This has a fishing rod holder that you can let hold a dozen or so rods, which is perfect if you are fishing with more than one person.
- This has a very adjustable deck, with chairs that you can alter to face your other fishing friend so that you can chat to each other as you dangle your lines over the edge.
- This has steering handles for both fishers, which will certainly help you when you are out in the trickier waters.
- This has plenty of room for you to store your fishing rods in. This is a great fishing vessel for keeping your personal possessions free of water.
- This boat might be a little too expensive for part-time fishers, you’ll need to make sure you are committed before spending the cash.
This will offer you a very swift and mobile paddling experience, with a narrow design that still manages to accommodate the bodies of both you and your passengers.
This boat is highly durable, giving you everything that you need for great tracking and holding your fishing gear - introducing the Wilderness Systems Tarpon 135.
- This boat comes with some great paddling accessories, you can mount your boats so that they are perfectly pitched.
- You can configure your seats for a wide range of positions. You can have it facing your fishing partner or have both seats facing the front for better steering.
- This will give you a very sturdy paddling experience, with two people navigating, then you’ll be able to negotiate faster-moving waters.
- This boat has an extremely durable hull, so if you are going to bang it up against the rocks by mistake, then you won’t have to worry about breaking it.
- The price - this is another very expensive unit that might not appeal to anyone who is working to a budget.
Next up, we have a board that has an incredible 450-pound storage capacity, giving you everything that you need for a long-haul fishing trip.
If you are anxious about leaving your belongings in your car, you can always bring them aboard this waterproof vessel - introducing the Ocean Kayak Malibu Two XL Angler.
- This is a great vessel to be used by your family, so if you want to teach your kids some fishing, we can think of no better vessel to start with.
- This vessel is one of the sturdiest that we have on this list, with a solid carbon fiber hull that will be able to withstand the worst of impacts.
- This boat is great for tandem fishing, coming with reliable steering that you can use to get yourself out of tight crags.
- This has fishing holsters that you can use to mount your fishing rods, giving you a sturdy line for when you reel in that hefty bass fish.
- The color on this kayak is quite garish and some users have complained that it doesn’t help them blend in with their leafy surroundings.
This next kayak is great if you are going to want to bring a lot of gear on your 2-person fishing adventure.
You can carry up to 500-pounds on this kayak, which makes it one of the best load-bearing kayaks that we’ve seen so far - introducing the Lifetime 10 Foot Two Person Tandem Fishing Kayak.
- This comes with a motor mount, so if you are tired of paddling with your arms, you can always use the motor of this one to get you out of danger.
- This has a broad hull, which makes it one of the best units for stability. This vessel will not toss you into the drink, even when you are struggling with a lively fish.
- This has 3-rod holders that will allow you to keep your fishing rod secure to the hull of your boat while you fish.
- You can also store plenty of tackle on this board without having to worry about it getting damaged by the waves.
- The price - this is another quite expensive kayak, so you should probably only get it if you are going out on the water multiple times a week.
This next one is very popular on the market, coming as an inflatable unit that you can easily inflate and deflate.
This is a great one for storage, allowing you to fully deflate it and pack it away easily in the back of your car - introducing the Intex Excursion Pro Kayak.
- This can hold upwards of 400 pounds, making it one of the most durable and great for carrying kayaks on the list.
- This is also quite a lightweight unit to carry, so you won’t put your back out when you are out on the water.
- This comes with a laminate core, which means that you’ll be able to carry it for much further distances, which is great if you are swimming in a river that is not accessible by road.
- You can have plenty of storage options with this inflatable boat, it will keep your possessions nice and safe when you get in the water.
- If you are a pro fisher with plenty of experience under your belt, then you might want a more sturdy, hard-shell kayak.
This next kayak is one of the best when it comes to tandem kayaks, coming in a two-person inflatable model that you can be sure will transport you and your fishing partner with stability and security.
This comes with a nylon cover that will keep you nice and dry - introducing the Sevylor Coleman Colorado 2-Person Fishing Kayak.
- This kayak is designed to keep your items safe, as the nylon covering will protect you against any rips and tears.
- This has mesh pockets that you can also use to keep your items safe, whether it is a mobile phone or an electronic tablet.
- This comes with adjustable rod holders that you can use to augment the style of your fishing in a way that is comfortable and secure.
- You can also switch this one into a motorized vessel, which is great if you are getting tired and want that smooth ride home.
- This boat can catch the wind very easily, which can make your tracking go off a little.
Next up, we have a very sturdy paddling tandem fisher that will help you to get out on the water very easily.
It comes with a PVC design and hardened nose tips that will allow you to coast through the water perfectly - introducing the Elkton Outdoors Steelhead Inflatable Fishing Kayak.
- This one comes with a hardened floor that you can be certain won’t be springing any leaks when you are out on the water.
- This vessel has very hard mounting points, allowing you to fish in the comfort of your own home, giving you everything that you need for a decent fishing experience.
- You can also adapt this boat so that you’re holding fishing finders as well as electronic rods.
- This also has a bungee cargo area that you can be sure is giving you everything that you need for a decent line that will keep you tethered to the shore.
- This boat is very heavy and will be very difficult to carry to the shore. If you have mobility issues, this will be a difficult boat to ride.
Next up, we have an amazing boat that comes with a rotomodeled polyethylene hull.
You can very easily hold two adults and a child in this vessel very securely, making it a great unit that you can use to teach your kids how to paddle and fish - introducing the Vanhunks Voyager Deluxe Kayak.
- This kayak has 550-pound capacity, allowing you to load up your gear as well as your passengers.
- This comes with two swivel-mounted fishing holders that will allow you to rotate your fishing rods and capture your fish from different angles.
- This comes with two storage waterproof hatches, so you can load up your favorite fishing equipment as well as all of your personal possessions.
- This has a very comfortable seat that will help you to get rid of your sweating and keep you in your kayak for longer.
- This might not be the best kayak for portability, which might make it difficult to move your kayak from your car to the water.
This next kayak is very comfortable and durable, coming with a 500-pound weight capacity that you can utilize to store all of your fishing gear.
This comes with plenty of accessories such as bungee rigging and a central storage hatch - introducing the Ocean Kayak Malibu Two XL Angler.
- This will help you with fishing with your family, having more than enough room to hold three people.
- This comes with decking mounts, which will be great for keeping your rods steady. This is important if you are trying to catch larger fish.
- This will also be a great kayak for fishing for a long period of time, with a comfortable backrest and adjustable seating that you can use to keep the circulation in your legs.
- You can also reposition the seats in this kayak so that you can face each other, which will help you to keep the conversation going.
- This will be difficult to paddle, as the bulk of the kayak will be very heavy, especially on the bottom.
Finally, we have one of the best two-person kayaks that we can find on the market. This vessel is very comfortable, with a cockpit that is designed especially for space and storage.
You can fit your whole family on this inflatable boat, which you can also fold up and store well when you are not using it - introducing the Intex Explorer K2 Kayak.
- This boat is quite yellow, which will make you very visible when you are out fishing in the dusk.
- This also has a retractable fin that will allow you to negotiate your way through the harder waters.
- This kayak also comes with two paddles, which will help you to steer your way through the water and give you much sturdier tracking.
- You can deflate this one very quickly, giving you the ability to store it when you are not using it.
- This might not be that durable for professional surfers who prefer to use a hard-shelled vessel.
Best Tandem Fishing Kayaks Buying Guide
When you are looking for a tandem boat, there will be a few things that you’ll definitely be looking for:
How Many People Does It Hold?
This might sound like an obvious question, but sometimes tandem boats can hold more than two people. If you have the space, you can even store upwards of 4 people, although this might impede the amount of gear that you’re allowed to take on.
If you are a family of fishers, knowing the weight capacity of your boat will be very important for keeping them safe from any currents.
What Material Is It Made From?
Having the right material is very important for keeping your boat protected. The hull of your boat should always be safe from dents and dings, as these could eventually pierce the hull and cause water to leak in.
Best Tandem Fishing Kayaks - FAQ's
Should Your Kayak Be Rigged For Fishing?
If you are going to be taking your kayak out for a paddle, then generally they will be of a smaller design, only really capable of holding the body of the rider. These kayaks often come with a splash skirt that will protect you from water flowing into your boat.
If you are going to be fishing, then you’ll probably need a lot of room in the deck of your boat, as this will be where you need to store your fishing equipment.
You’ll also need to make sure that your passengers have plenty of wiggle room so that you can get decent circulation into their legs.
Should Your Kayak Have An Anchor?
Yes, you should have some sort of weight that will keep your boat in the same position. This will be especially true when you are fishing. If you have found a nice spot to fish, then you won’t want your boat drifting away from that spot.